This is something I bake once in a while for the girls at work but can be adapted for your dog. Kirby loves good food and these grain free muffins are always a nice change for him on those special mornings. I try to add eggs to his treats and meals when I can since they help maintain his shiny coat.
- 1 lb mild ground sausage*
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1 cup frozen spinach, chopped
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
Egg mixture Ingredients:
- 8 large eggs
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/2 tbsp safflower oil
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
1. In a large pan cook the sausage.
2. When almost cooked stir in the cayenne pepper.
3. Drain the sausage well and place in a medium size bowl.
4. Finely chop the spinach and remove any excess moisture with paper towels.
5. Stir the spinach and cheddar cheese into the meat.
6. Evenly spoon this mixture into an oiled (I use olive oil spray) 12 cup muffin tin.
If you are making this the night before, cover with foil and place in the refrigerator.
7. In a medium size bowl whisk together the eggs, milk, oil, and baking powder. I then poured mine in a two cup measuring cup, covered with foil, and placed in the refrigerator.
8. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Pour an even amount of the egg mixture into each muffin tin.
9. Throw some extra cheddar cheese on top if you want.
10. Bake for 16 minutes. Remove and let cool.
11. Run a flat knife around the edges to remove the muffins.
You can pick and choose the ingredients your pup likes best for the filling. For less calories try using turkey sausage. Kirby likes these made with real bacon bits too. Spinach is so good and so under utilized but any finely chopped veggie will work. Try different cheeses - mozzarella, Parmesan, goat, and feta. The possibilities are endless making this an easy favorite for both humans and canines.
These muffins can be frozen. Just thaw and warm in the microwave for about 15 seconds.