Coconut Fish Soup
Kirby eats a lot of chicken and red meat. Fish is another healthy option he dearly loves. I happened to catch some catfish on sale but any white fish would work. Kirby laps up the broth but you can omit the water if you want a thicker stew.
- 1 1/2 lbs catfish nuggets
- 3 small sweet potatoes
- 1 - 12 oz bag Broccoli Slaw (broccoli, carrots, red cabbage)
- 2 cups English peas
- 2 - 13.5 cans (1 2/3 cups) coconut milk
- 3 cups water
- 1 - 5 oz bag dried mixed berries (cranberries, blueberries, cherries)
- 2 tbsp coconut flour
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp ground ginger
1. Using a food processor finely chop the peeled sweet potatoes and broccoli slaw. This will help them cook faster and makes them easier for a dog's digestive system.
2. Mix the dried berries with two tbsp flour which will help keep them from clumping together, and finely chop. I used coconut flour but any flour will work.
3. Rinse and dry the fish, deboning if needed, then cut into small pieces.
4. In large pot bring coconut milk and water to a slow boil. Add sweet potatoes, broccoli slaw, peas, and dried berries. Add seasonings.
5, Simmer over low heat for ten minutes, stirring occasionally.
6. Add the fish and let simmer for twenty minutes or until fish and veggies are thoroughly cooked.
7. Let cool and serve.
I freeze this soup in two cup plastic containers for up to three months. It should last up to seven days in the refrigerator.